It is a special year at First English Lutheran Church, here in Ortonville – the 45th Annual Scandinavian Food Fair!
When: November 3rd
Time: 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.
Enjoy Scandinavian food and shopping
It is a Scandinavian Coffee Party!
This event has been enjoyed by so many over the years, we thought it would be fun to share a little history – Enjoy!! – Thank you to Ethel Swenson!
45th Annual Scandinavian Food Fair
On December 1, 1973, the First English Lutheran Church Women staged their first Annual Scandinavian Christmas Food Fair in the church basement. The event was termed a great success and a fun project. It was a project that was even profitable — $1,000.00 after expenses, which was earmarked for new “curtains”. Forty-five years ago they “gladly did it” – they had a vision, a vision that started it all.
Spending hours in their kitchens, the women provided some of the following for their event (as taken from their minutes of ALCW, 1973).
- 42 Dozen Sandbakkles – could have used more – sold for $1.00 per dozen
- 53 Dozen Rosettes – next year they would like to have instructions and make more.
- Pizzales were made and sold in 2# coffee cans – approximately 10 per coffee can. Sold all of them but in the future the price should be increased.
- Flat Bread – 41 packages were made and sold at .50 cents each
- 18 Dozen Fattigmond – .60 per dozen
- 800 Dozen Cookies were provided by members of the congregation
- Lefse was made using 200# of potatoes (use White Kanabec) which were donated – 3 large Lefses to a package and selling for $1.00 per package
- 267 tickets were sold for the delicious “Scandinavian” Coffee Party at 50 cents per ticket. Wonderful “Lutheran” coffee with delicious open faced Scandinavian sandwiches and goodies were served. We also tried fruit soup.
- $133.50 was made from the sale of the Coffee Party Tickets
The “new curtains” that were purchased forty-five years ago are long gone, but the traditional event has remained strong – an event of fun and fellowship. Many projects at our church and community organizations benefit from the proceeds. We invite you to join us on Saturday, November 3rd, 12:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m at First English Lutheran Church, Ortonville, Minnesota.
Update! Below is a video with a few highlights from the 2018 event!